The family rooms are subject to a lot of wear and tear. Carpets are especially susceptible to damage, so they need to be replaced frequently. A durable, but beautiful carpet is a great choice for your family room. These are some things to keep in mind when you do this:
Choose a durable material — There are now options for nylon, triexta and polyester. These synthetic materials are cost-effective, durable, and easy to maintain. These materials can also be permanently anti-stain or colorfast. Triexta is the best choice for children and pets. It’s affordable, durable, and easy to clean. While nylon and polyester are great, they can be difficult to clean and are less durable than triexta. Olefin, on the other hand, is beautiful and inexpensive, but isn’t as durable as nylon, triexta, or polyester.
You have five options when it comes to choosing a style of carpet.
- Saxony styles are velvet- or cut-pile carpets with a plush pile that are ideal for high traffic areas.
- Textured carpets are more dense and have a deeper pile. They also tend to be two-tone. It is very difficult to clean the pile as it collects dust.
- The most durable, but also the most expensive frieze carpets. It has a very soft texture and is easy to clean.
- By cutting patterns into looped or non-looped carpet tufts, sculptured carpets can be made. This gives the carpet a shaded or more down appearance. These carpets are also durable and cost-effective.
- Berber or looped carpets look elegant and are popular, but they can be difficult to clean and are easy to wear down.
Select a quality carpet — You’ve learned how to choose material and style. Now you need to find a brand that can withstand constant wear. A quality carpet should weigh between 34 and 40 oz, have a tuft twist greater than 5 and a density greater than 2000. These terms can be complicated so it is a good idea that you read them before choosing a brand.
Family rooms should be relaxing. This means that you, your spouse and your children will use the family room often. You want a family room carpet that is both attractive and durable so you don’t have to replace it often.